warfoll02

FaeSky AI-enhanced HD Texture Pack for Wrath of the Lich King

Modder ‘FaeSky’ has released an AI-enhanced HD Texture Pack for World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Version 3.3.5. According to the modder, this pack improves the quality of over 14,634 textures by using AI techniques.

Going into more details, this Texture Pack upscales the resolution of textures by two times. The modder used Video2x in order to upscale them. Moreover, FaeSky used the realsr_ncnn_vulkan driver to maintain detail.

Do note that this pack only improves the textures of environments. As such, it includes textures for dungeons, environments, tileset and the world. It does not feature any textures for creatures, NPC, spells, particles or items. Additionally, and in order to prevent any possible game crashes, the new textures are limited to 1024x resolution.

Now as with all AI-enhanced HD Texture Packs, this one retains the same art style as the vanilla game. Similarly, its visual improvements are not THAT great. I mean, the new textures are definitely better, but they are not THAT much better.

Below you can find a comprasion screenshot beetwen the improved and the vanilla textures (the carpet looks noticeably better now).

before

WoW-old-textures.jpg

after

WoW-new-textures.jpg

p.s.  

The original mod was removed, but I managed to find it on one of the russian sites.

I don't know how it works or if it works at all.

The mod works, but you need to convert textures from png to blp, and then create mpq. 

After that, the mod weighs much less. I have not converted all the textures yet, but the result is on the face.

Here is a screenshot of the starting location

LT2ScJP.jpg

Honestly, I do not know if it should look like this or is it just a blp converter that transformed textures so crookedly.

6 hours ago, Alastor Strix'Efuartus said:

whats with that tileset part of it black ?

I have no idea. I just made the conversion of ready-made textures from the author from png format to blp format

I don't think the idea of that mod is overall that great. At least not in this kind of implementation. What does upscaling of textures do in this case? It really sharpens them. Yes, it is very high quality sharpening effect from what I can see. But it does not improve the overall look. The issue with old content looking worse than some new content in WoW is due to lack of details. This AI filter is not able to add new details, it just makes you original overall low detail texture look like it was painted on a higher resolution canvas but with the same level of detail. 

So it actually makes things look worse than they should be.

I converted all the files and tried the patch, imho it looks great (depending on the pov angle) in some small rooms but it's a total mess literally on everything else.

Edit: I converted all files with no errors, the patch works properly but I can't see any real difference from not upscaled textures

WoWScrnShot_031621_170705.jpg

WoWScrnShot_031621_171348.jpg

WoWScrnShot_031621_171906.jpg

WoWScrnShot_031621_171811.jpg

Same thing happened to me, anyone know how to convert these to BLP the right way?

Hairesis they look that way because they were not converted correctly.

21 hours ago, Drizit said:

Same thing happened to me, anyone know how to convert these to BLP the right way?

Hairesis they look that way because they were not converted correctly.

Ok so while converting I got these errors:

Those files are located here:

TILESET\Generic\ tgatest.png

TILESET\Terrain Cube Maps\oilslickenvA.png
TILESET\Terrain Cube Maps\TCB_CrystalSong_A.png
TILESET\Terrain Cube Maps\TCB_CrystalSong_B.png
TILESET\Terrain Cube Maps\TCB_SkyBlue_A.png

After resizing the files from 1024x171 to 1024x512 I had no conversion errors

Note: This pic size was good for the converter but I'm not sure about what the game wants btw (maybe 1024x256?)

Anyways I didn't see any improvement from the final patch. I also tried to convert one single zeppeling just to avoid conversion errors and I didn't see any difference again. Skarn was right af

Errors.png

Hairesis you can just delete those files anyway they will make zero difference.

And how did you convert them properly?

No matter what I do I always get Black stripes on the textures when loading into the game.

And they do look better btw, you can see in side by side shots that they do.

The patch link has been removed. This is not a patch, but an eerie creation that the author once wanted to convey to people.

11 hours ago, Alastor Strix'Efuartus said:

hopefuly convey about how not to do it beacuse having 8GB of files that does not add any sigle detail sounds like a terror to me

if I did it, it wouldn't even be released.

if we are to improve the texture of the game, it’s better in this way, as in this patch